Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Follow the leada leada leada....

I remember we did this song during O-week....ANYways.....

I do not know what I've gotten myself into. Remember how I was talking about my d-group (discipleship group)? Well, my d-group leader approached me a couple weeks ago and said she had to talk to me. My first thought is always, "uh oh". And "uh oh" is right! Her and another girl part of Campus for Christ sat down with me and asked me if I was interested in leading a d-group myself next year. I'm still in shock! It honestly caught me completely off-guard. The reason it caught me off-guard is because for one, my d-group leader doesn't really know me. She knows me within our little d-group and my answering questions about God, but she knows nothing about the Aleah outside of that. Also, I am very quiet and don't talk much anyways, which by the way is progressively changing and I'm not so afraid to speak to people I don't know. So this little meeting thingy we had was a fairly quick get-to-know-what-Aleah-believes session. I did have to admit some things that I've been struggling with lately and that was pretty difficult because I don't like telling people I've just met about my problems! The decision was left up to me to think and pray about. After some prayer and thinking I told my d-group leader that I would do it. So lo! and behold, I'm going to be leading my own d-group next school year, which means I have to go through a bunch of leadership/evangelism training. It'll be fun to get to know other Christians on campus and be able to influence others to deepen their relationship with God, but it's still frightening. They estimated that this'll take up approximately 10 hours a week of my time, so for me, that's a huge commitment since I'm terrible with time management to begin with!

I'm still left wondering, "why me?" Those of you that know me know that I'm not too partial to leadership. I'd rather be the follower. I'd much prefer being told what to do and doing it when it comes to these sorts of situations, because I'm also very indecisive. Also, this will be a lot of responsibility and accountability on my part because I have to set an example for the girls I will be leading. On the upside, it will definitely help me stay on track with God and with the decisions I make because I will be accountable to these people. If it was just me I was being accountable towards, then I'm much more likely to make the wrong choice. But if it's someone else, I'm more likely to remain strong and do what's right since I hate disappointing people. I know that sounds sad, but right now it's the truth. So all in all I'm excited about this, but also at the same time terrified to death! If you can remember, please pray that I'll be strong enough to do this and that God will work through me to reach others.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:34 p.m., Blogger Battle said…

    I'll tell you why... cuz your smart, dependable, have a great heart and are generaly a nice person. awesome news! so good to hear!

     
  • At 11:18 p.m., Blogger Elyse said…

    That's so exciting! I agree completely with Battle... God knows that you're a great leader! Congrats about this! :D I'll be praying for you :)

     
  • At 8:14 a.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Gee, I seem to remember a great reluctance to lead worship back in the day and that worked out pretty well. :) This will be a great for you, I'm sure.

    I've often said that my biggest period of spiritual growth was when I took leadership in different ministries. I would go even further and say that it's very difficult to mature if we don't assume leadership and responsibility for the growth of others. It'll be good learnin'...

     
  • At 11:30 a.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Hey thanks guys! It's encouraging to know you think I can do this.

    Yeah, Jamie, I did have a difficult time with that, but by the end, I really liked it. In fact, I miss it so much now. Ahhh the irony of life...

     
  • At 12:24 p.m., Blogger Abe said…

    Awesome, if this required a vote, I'd vote for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home