Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Why Vote?

I don't normally post about anything political because A) I really don't know much about politics; and B) It's not a major interest of mine. But I am going to tell you who I am voting for and why. Knowing that I'm Christian, I'm sure it doesn't come as much of a surprise to you that I'm voting Conservative. I'm 19, so this is my second year voting; and yes, I voted Conservative last year as well.

I will say this, I would rather not vote at all then vote Liberal. I actually thought about not voting this year because I don't particularly agree with any one specific party, because, for one thing, I do care a lot about social issues such as poverty. But this is how I have rationalized by choice for voting Conservative:

I figure that moral issues are very important, especially from a Christian standpoint. Issues such as gay marriages and the like are difficult to eradicate if you're not advocating at the federal level. Therefore, if the Conservatives are voted in, then there is a much more likely chance that those laws can be changed than if the NDP (or any party) were in power. So where does that leave social issues? Since I'm not exactly sure where the Conservatives stand on poverty, etc. I'm just going to assume that they don't have much of a plan for stuff like that from what I hear from people (correct me if I'm wrong). But anyways, I think that if we can get the government to change laws regarding morals and such, then if they aren't going to help the poor, then I think that's up to us to do that. We can't rely on the government to solve all problems that arise in society, so where do the citizens come into play? I believe that when it comes to social issues, society should take on more of an active role. Or the church. There are lots of churches that help out and make up meals for people, but there are a lot who don't. So maybe the church should be more active in the community as well.

My point is, it's easier to advocate for moral issues at the federal level and help with social issues as a community. That's my logic at any rate.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:28 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with you 100% Aleah, that no other party is going to even imagine appealing laws concerning gay marriages, amongst other things. Another reason why I, myself, am also voting Conservative, is because I have mad respect for Steven Harper. He is an individual who has carried himself very well in the national and world spotlight,and I have not seen another federal politician actually stand up infront of the nation and say that he does not agree with equal rights for homosexual relationships, and abortions. Personally, I absolutely hate the idea of abortion, and so the fact that he was willing to disagree with it infront of our entire nation and the world deserves respect.
    Another major reason why I think the Conservative party is the only one worth a vote, is because all the other parties; the Liberals, NDP, Green Party, and the Bloc are also all looking out for mostly just the interests of the minorities. The Liberals and NDP assume that our entire nation are liberal in their views as well, and pass laws and fight for the rights of people who are actually a minority. The gay marriage act only passed by 1 vote in congress, and didn't pass at all in a national census poll. The Green Party is focussed on a lot of naturalists' hopes and dreams, and even though I agree that we do need to take care of the earth God entrusted us with, we need to sort our golf balls from our pebbles and sand; our priorities (that's for you Aleah haha). And finally the Bloc Quebecois... They're looking for a separate Quebec! The Bloc is only interested in taking care of Quebecers' needs, and a minority of Quebecers' needs at that! In my mind, the Conservative party is the only one that is coming from a more moral standpoint, are looking out for their image and behavior, and are actually looking to represent the majority of Canadians. Why have a democracy if we're going to have a minority influenced tyranny?!. Anyway, sorry for rambling, that's my 2... ok 20 cents lol!

     
  • At 7:08 p.m., Blogger Mike said…

    Abortion isn't going anywhere. In both Canada and the United States, the whole issue is nothing but a big carrot politicians use to hang in front of people's faces. If you want to appeal to a conservative base, you say you are against abortion. If you want to appeal to a liberal base, you say the opposite.

    Abortion is every bit as engrained in our society as slavery was in the United States, circa 1800 - and politicians and federal judges are certainly aware of this. Yes, slavery went away, but only after a period of vicious chaos in which the system utterly broke down.

    I tend to think gay marriage is going to be the same kind of issue.

    Any politician that says he is against abortion might not be lying. But if they say they will get rid of it, they are lying. I suspect the same is true of gay marriage.

     
  • At 7:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aleah i do agree with you about the parties and steven Harper and abortion i think the ndp hadsome good points and some bad points. the thing that canada needs is a remider that it's important that morals and values are what need back. if you don't understand just call me.And gay marriage thats going to hard to crack. I think votings important even if our government sucks.the one thing we need that Steven Harper can help us with is getting our godly values back. anyway i'm happy the concervitves our in.Tara

     
  • At 12:42 p.m., Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Not bad reasoning there Aleah.

    The way I look at things is this... how a party views moral issues is a very good indicator on where their priorities lie. If a party takes anti-Christian stands on moral issues, you can pretty much bet that they've got a whole bunch of other issues wrong too.

    That's why I could never support the "Progressive Conservative Party" of Joe Clark, and why I'm 100% behind the "Conservative Party" of Stephen Harper.

    Get the moral issues right, and more often than not, the rest will fall correctly into place. (not that anyone is perfect, mind you)

    If you've got any political questions, feel free to drop by my blog, or just drop me a line! CC

     

Post a Comment

<< Home