Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Monday, December 12, 2005

You're Forgiven

I said on Jamie's blog a week ago that I would write about what I was learning in one of my Social Justice classes. Well, we were talking about forgiveness and the reason I wanted to post about it is because I just could not wrap my head around what my professor was getting at. Forgiveness, well, it seems pretty simple from the surface. Someone hits you, apologizes, you forgive them, end of story. But once we started talking about it, it didn't seem so simple and I walked out of the room confused as ever. What my professor was posing is that we must forgive or we die. So you better make restitution with everyone! No no, just kidding....well, sorta....anyways. What I didn't get about his explanation was that forgiveness is mutual. I'm not so sure I agree. For forgiveness to be mutual, the wrong-doer must want to be forgiven. For example, someone walks up, smacks you in the face and walks away. You decide you're going to forgive that person even though they have not asked for forgiveness, nor are they sorry for what they have done. I guess it comes down to defining forgiveness. For the sake of this post, I looked it up on dictionary.com and was thoroughly disappointed. Dictionary.com defines forgiveness as:

1. The act of forgiving; pardon
2. 1: compassionate feelings that support a willingness to forgive 2: the act of excusing a mistake or offense

Hmmm...doesn't seem to help! Whenever I think of forgiveness, or not forgiving someone for that matter, I think of holding a grudge, or using the offence in future arguments, being angry about what happened, stewing over it, etc. So if someone murders someone I love, for example, and they don't ask for forgiveness or aren't sorry for what they did, I still think that forgiveness can apply. I can forgive someone because I don't want to hold it against them, or I want to let go of the baggage or simply because we're supposed to. I brought this up in class because I still am not sure about the whole mutuality of forgiveness. My professor said that forgiveness is then used selfishly. If you're forgiving someone simply because you don't want to hold a grudge anymore, or because you want to move on, then it's not really forgiveness at all. He states that in order for true forgiveness to take place, both members must be willing to move past the situation. Therefore, an event requiring forgiveness is an obstruction of time. Since we live moment by moment, something that happens requiring forgiveness causes the members to stop in time, so to say, and in order to get past that, forgiveness is required, otherwise the relationship is severed. There is no possible way for you to forgive someone when they do not want forgiveness and continue the relationship.

What I'm getting out of this is that you cannot forgive someone "fully" until the relationship is restored. I'm thinking that I don't agree. Situation brought up in class: What if someone's father rapes them, the father does not own up to the raping, and the person severs communication. Then ten years down the road, because of the issue, wants to forgive the father for what he did without the father acknowledging the situation, or even if he does, it doesn't make a difference. Instinct here tells me that the relationship should not be restored because of the possible danger the restoration may cause for the person. I still think forgiveness is possible in this situation. Then again, I guess you have to ask if forgiveness and letting go of something is the same thing. See, this is why I'm confused on the whole thing! So if you have any insight to this whole mess I've just created, please do tell, and hopefully you at least sort of understood what I was talking about.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think that forgiveness can occur with only one party, because Christ has still forgiven us, though we often do not ask for it. See, your proffessor was saying that forgiveness isn't really actual forgiveness unless the offending party repents, and I don't think that's true, because forgiveness and repenatance, though similar are two different things. They are similar, because both are heart-felt feelings that require thought process and an act of conscience to take place. The difference is that Forgiveness is the heart-felt attitude of grace towards an offender, while repentance is changing one's behavior because of a heart-felt attitude of remorse. I believe that you can be forgiven without repenting, and I know that because Christ has forgiven us in His heart, though we may not be repenting. However, a relationship is not fully resotored unless both forgiveness and repentance occur. Does that make any sense?

     
  • At 8:25 a.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Was this professor talking from a Christian perspective or a philosophical one?

    I agree with you, Aleah. There's a world of difference between forgiveness and reconciliation.

    Even so, being able to honour the person without excusing their actions or rebuilding the relationship can be tough to do. I once heard someone express that they found freedom themselves in honouring the parent that had molested them... We get into very deep waters in this type of discussion.

    And I disagree with the prof's judgement that forgiveness for our own sake is selfish. That's like saying that changing the oil in your car is selfish. No, it's just necessary.

     
  • At 11:47 a.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Thanks Nathan, I couldn't figure out how to tie Christ into all this, so that's what I was lookin' for.

    Jamie, my professor is Catholic and did 30 years of teaching on the Scriptures....BUT he says that no where in the Bible does it say that homosexuality is wrong. I know he believes in God, but he's got some messed up views about some things, which is a shame because he is very intelligent.

     
  • At 10:29 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Aleah i think that frogiveness is hard to know cause there are two points of views. i think that say someone hurts you and has not asked not said sorry than you need to leave it and pray about it cause Pastor Rick says that realtionship won't get restored untill both partys repent and change there attiude.Ex when i thoughti did somthing wrong and asked for forgiveness that person did wrong toward me but i still asked cause i thought it was my fault but that person eccepted it didn't appoligise back to me and continued huting me so i can forgive them and try to let it go but no matter how hard itry i won't be able to restore the realtionship until they want to reconciule .

    i also think your boyfrinds right.
    i hope i never confused you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home