Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Evangelism

Hmm, I haven't posted in a long time!

I had the opportunity yesterday to sort of go evangelizing on campus. I can say that I have never done this without my parents before. Whenever I have shared my faith was when I was part of a church group going out as a kid, or when we went on a mission's trip. So needless to say, I was terrified! My D-Group leader (I think it means discipleship) at school asked if I would come out with her and go sharing around the UCC. I did. I'm sure those of you who are at Western know about the "Is Anything Free?" campaign going on. If not, it's an event hosted by Campus for Christ and it's asking the obvious question, is anything free? The whole promotion is to share the belief that Jesus is a free gift to us, all we have to do is accept Him. So there's this event on February 8 and at the very beginning there will be a draw for $2500. The reason that it's at the beginning and not the end is to show that there is no catch. That C4C is not looking for anything in return. There is a speaker afterwards and people can choose to stay if they wish, but are completely free to leave if they choose.

About the sharing. So my D-Group leader and I went out around the caf and talked to three different girls; and wow!! The difference in response between just three people is crazy! The first girl was of a Christian background and so she pretty much knew the concept, but she didn't seem very strong in her faith, but was willing to listen and answer our questions. The second girl seemed very unresponsive and somewhat annoyed that we were talking to her. She gave bare minimum answers and didn't really have any knowledge on Jesus or anything spiritual, and she seemed like she was hurting in some way. The third girl we talked to was actually joined by her guy friend and so we talked to both of them. She seemed embarassed by her answers that she gave and the fact that she grew up Catholic but couldn't really pick a stance on anything. The guy, however, jumped all over the questions and seemed quite "philosophical". It was great! So overall, it was a really good experience for me and I pray that those three people will show up to the event and possibly God can open their hearts to the message.

I think also, going evangelizing is a HUGE test on my part because when you're randomly talking to people about God like that, I think you need to also actively demonstrate those beliefs ALL THE TIME!! For me, it's difficult because I guess you could say I live a "double life". I often struggle with making the right choices and living for God 24/7, not just on Sundays and at church events. So I think by going out and doing this, proclaiming your faith to the world, especially Western, a place I will be spending the next 2.5 years of my life at, is definitely a test to whether I can live my life solely for God, or for myself. I believe that accepting Jesus is not just a belief, but a way of life. It's not enough for me to just say, "yeah I believe". I need to put that belief into practice and show others what is meant by a "follower of Christ". I was reading my blessings that were written for me by most of you, and a few of you mentioned the meaning behind my name, which is "light of the sun", but most of you translated it as "light of the Son", and it reminded me that that's exactly what I need to be. I need to live up to my name, so to speak. I thank you guys for those blessings because every once in awhile I pull them out and am reminded of who I am and who I need to be for Christ.

I'm going to hopefully go to FNL this Friday (I've never been before), so if anyone who reads this is going, I'll see you there! :)

A few songs I really like right now:
Rescue by Desperation
How Great is Our God by Chris Tomlin
'Till I See You by Hillsongs
Wonderful Maker by Chris Tomlin
Forever by Hillsongs

7 Comments:

  • At 4:19 p.m., Blogger Elyse said…

    :) You posted! I miss reading your regular blogs, but you definitely wrote a great one. Thanks for being so open. :) I agree, it's sometimes really hard to live for God every day, and not just on Sundays or at church events. You seem to be doing a good job of it though! :) Thanks for the reminder for all of us!

     
  • At 7:21 a.m., Blogger Mike said…

    but was willing to listen and answer our questions. . . . but couldn't really pick a stance on anything.

    Can I ask what kinds of questions you were asking? What approach did you use?

     
  • At 1:50 p.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Yeah for sure you can ask! It was just a survey and we asked things like, do you come from a spiritual background? We did free association so we say a word and they think of the first thing that comes to mind (words inlud. free, cost, debt, sin, life, death, God). We also asked who they think Jesus is, do they think anything can be free in life, etc. I can't remember exactly all of them.

     
  • At 11:43 p.m., Blogger Battle said…

    That's great news! It's super in fact. Oh, you should read this guys stuff his name is Ray Comfort. Personally it changed my life in relation to evangelism. You know I was listening to Mr.Terry and Mr.Grant talk one day and they said dicpleship is like raising kids and evagelism is like "the fun part" meaning conception. Check out hells best kept secret it's an awesome message.

     
  • At 11:57 p.m., Blogger Battle said…

    oops... here's the link

    http://www.livingwaters.com/

    go to it!

     
  • At 8:14 a.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Sounds cool. Interesting to hear how this impacted you as much as you impacted others. It's always good to have someone that pushes in areas like this.

     
  • At 11:37 p.m., Blogger Jevan said…

    Cool that you went to FNL - it's generally really good. Highly recommended.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home