Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Something to think about

Whoa, I was really scared for a few days. I thought that I had a 10-12 page essay due in a week, but it turns out that it's not due until February 7. Yeah! That gives me so much more time than I had anticipated. God is good.

I'm taking a break from working on school. So much to do!!! (Everyone else in University can concur with me).

Yesterday in my Social Justice and Peace Studies class we were talking about homelessness. I was excited because poverty and homelessness are the issues that I really enjoy learning/studying. I just finished working on my presentation on homelessness and I actually learned a lot about it. My topic was specific to youth who are homeless. But it helped me to know a lot of facts, rather than the usual stereotypical mindset that most people have about homeless people. Most people assume that homeless people are generally drug addicts or mentally ill. But that's not true at all. Less than 20% of homeless people have drug addictions or are mentally ill. The youth who do do drugs usually do it to relieve some of the pain they are feeling. Most homeless people are runaways from some form of abuse or oppression they experienced at home (this is called emotion-focused coping and isn't as effective because it's only a temprary relief). I think that's terrible. The problem is that there aren't enough resources to assist homeless people because if there's a case where a youth is being abused, they are less likely to get aid because social workers take the calls from children more seriously since they are more vulnerable than adolescents are. Therefore, that person is left to either suffer the abuse, or pretty much to become homeless if no one else is willing to take care of them.

I think that there should be more help coming from the community. I mean, most of us (me included until I researched this topic) don't really care to help the homeless. Why? Firstly, because of the previously mentioned stereotypes and also because we're selfish and greedy people. If we're not being entertained, then we're not interested. Besides, did God not command us to help those in need? So why aren't we!! (I'm also included in this). I think it's completely unfair that someone can inherit millions of dollars for doing absolutely nothing, and then there's some homeless guy working his butt off so that he can make a few bucks, but isn't getting anywhere with his life. I was watching a movie about tent city in Toronto (an area where homeless people live in tents) and these two guys worked so hard and built themselves this little dwelling (I wouldn't even call it a house) out of scrap material that they found around the city. A lot of people assume that homeless people are lazy and don't have jobs (I'm not gonna lie, some are, but the majority aren't). The reality is, that no one can survive on a part time job. On average, a person needs to make $11/h in order to afford a one bedroom apartment, let alone the costs of food, transportation, repairs and other costs that come with life. That's why you see homeless people walking around with nice little things like a nice coat, or shoes or something because A) someone gave it to them, or B) they can afford those things, but they just can't afford to pay rent or anything.

That's just a little about what I'm thinking. I don't really want to write everything else and bore you guys! I could debate this forever!!! (Feel free to disagree).

Have a good night! :)

2 Comments:

  • At 4:45 p.m., Blogger Abe said…

    Ooh, love this post! Glad to see how your thoughts are developing. Jeremiah 22:16 is my newest favorite verse. My brother Dan helped write an undergraduate curriculum on youth and homelessness, you should give him a shout...call me if you want his contact info.

    Peace

     
  • At 11:06 p.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Yeah that's a really good verse. I really really feel we should reach out more to poor people in our city. Not much is being done about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home