Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Different

School is in two days. Whoo!! *sigh*

I'm excited, but in that nervous sort of way. You know how it is.

Anyways, I was so excited about my books that I read one of them already, as in totally finished it. It was only 190 pages, so no maginificent defeat or anything. I can tell that I'll have a pretty interesting year ahead of me. The book was actually really good, as in interesting. Except that I don't believe in everything that the author spoke of, because some of it is pretty extreme for my beliefs. I can understand the whole communism label though, that's for sure! No, I'm not communist, not by a long shot. See, one of the author's ideas about homeless people struck me as very odd. He spoke of how we should just leave homeless people alone, because that's how they want to be and most of them choose this lifestyle. So, instead of preventing homelessness, we should accede it. He suggested that, if homeless people want to live under bridges or in parks or something, we should accomodate them by putting in electricity for them or fix the bridges to be more "homey" for them. I fully disagreed with this idea. I even laughed when I read it. First of all, if we install electricty in the parks or under the bridges for them, what the heck would they be using it for? Do you think homeless people walk around with little microwaves or portable heaters? Come on! Get real here.

The whole thing about homeless people wanting orchoosing this lifestlye, is just absurd. Sure, there are the small percentage of homeless people who enjoy the freedom and laissez faire lifestyle, but a lot of homeless people are either mentally unstable, drug addicts or kicked out of their houses. Then there are also other miscellaneous cases as well, but that is irrelevent right now. I just don't think that the majority of homeless people actually prefer to be homeless and would choose homelessness over a job and a house. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong. The author argued that in fact, homeless people actually do want to be homeless. All because one or two people said that they liked it. They said that they like the freedom and they actually earn money by collecting cans. Well, fine. They can enjoy this. But these homeless people obviously haven't spent a Canadian winter out on the streets. I mean, I get cold just waiting for the bus, let alone sleeping and living on the streets for 4 months of winter. There's only so much you can take.

He also talked about how we are dealing with the "problem" of homelessness. He said that the government wants to berid of homeless people because they are outside of the heirarchy of society because, obviously, they don't contribute to it in the form of money, which is true and I can see why the government would be concerned about that. He said that the programs are useless that in place. Each year it never stops homelessness and it never will. And each year, we know it, but we have false hope that maybe one day it will. Sure, this is sort of true, and I can understand this as well. But he said that it takes "vision" to fix this and that we shouyldn't be worrying about solving the problems or preventing things from happening, but we should make happen what we want to happen. But I think, what would happen if there weren't any programs? Sure, it's easy for him to say that we should have this "vision" and make happen what we want to happen, but in the meantime, what are we supposed to do with those starving on the streets who depend on the shelters? Should we just say, "No, sorry. The programs aren't in place right now because we're trying to create this vision that is going to save you in the future. But in the meantime, try to find a job so you can eat." Maybe I'm being extreme, but whatever.

Don't get me wrong, he did have some good ideas, but I can't get to them right now because I have to leave. So have a great night guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home