Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Friday, July 30, 2004

Sometimes the best things in life are the simple things.

Like the title says, sometimes the best things in life are just the simplest things. I think we take for granted the small things in life that give us joy. It's important for us to just enjoy those moments for what they're worth and not take them for granted. For instance, here's my list of things that are small, but tend to make me happy, even just for a moment:

1. Cold showers on hot days.
2. Cuddling with my cat. Sounds really stupid, but it's actually quite nice when he's all happy and snuggly!
3. The smell of freshly cut grass...it's good!
4. The smell of laundry detergent. Yes, it sounds weird, but it smells so good!
5. Being freezing cold and getting under a warm blanket.
6. Being so tired you think you're going to pass out, and then finally being able to lay down in your nice, comfy bed.
7. Reading a book or colouring a picture with a kid (or having them climb into your lap. It's cute!)
8. Lying on your bed, or sitting in a comfy chair while listening to GOOD music [good meaning my kind of music ; )].
9. Going for a walk on a warm summer night.
10. Also, going for a walk on the beach at night....really nice.
11. When you first come inside and it's all rainy and stuff, and then you come out again and it's all sunny. It's a nice surprise!
12. When you've had a terrible day and someone, unknowingly, says or does something to make up for it.
13. Seeing someone else really happy. Seems odd, but it usually makes me happy, for some strange reason. Actually, I believe I was talking to Abe about this, how the greatest joy in life is seeing someone else's joy (my teacher used that example with seeing his wife happy).
14. Being with friends. You don't even have to be doing anything, I just like being with people.
15. My brother's presence. Yeah, yeah. We fight sometimes, but I like hanging out with him. He's going away for a week and now I'm going to be all alone! Alone in the sense that my mom doesn't really like playing video games! Nate and I get along really well despite what you all think.
16. Sitting in front of a real wood burning fireplace. I used to do this everyday at my friends house during lunch (or the smell of a campfire).
17. Waking up early in the morning and everything inside and outside the house is so peaceful and you get to just think or watch the sunrise. I did it once. It was cool.
18. Forgetting about letters or objects and then finding them in your room or house somewhere and then reflecting back on the memories.
19. Buying something new, especially if you worked hard to pay for it.
20. Mashed potatoes and meat patties with my mom's gravy.....yummy : )
21.
Seeing or hearing from someone you haven't seen or heard from in a long time.
22. Listening to "Hide" by Creed. I don't know why, but it always makes me smile. I just really like the tune or something, I'm not sure.
23. Seeing a miracle, or having your prayers answered.

Well, those are just some examples of little things that are the best in life. I could go on forever! So, enjoy the little things in life that make you happy and don't take them for granted. Have a good long weekend everyone! : )