Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Monday, July 05, 2004

How do we know we're "Good Christians"?

This has been a question of mine for a really long time. The reason I'm posting this is because I think you guys can help answer it and I respect your opinions (awwwww).

So how do we know if we're "good Christians"? I mean, we don't get a status report every month telling us if we're slipping or if we did a good job that month. So how do we know? I do, however, have some answers. By one, looking to the Bible and seeing if we're following the Commandments and what God has said. But I mean, sure, I haven't murdered anyone...yet. ;) But what about other things, like lying or something. It seems small, but it's an equal sin, compared to say murder, it's still sin, so what then?

Ok, so I read the Bible, pray, go to church, etc. but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm a good Christian, they're just actions. I guess it's the heart of the person, right? But how do you know what your heart truly is? I mean, maybe I'm just doing all those things because that's what I've been taught was right to do and because it says in the Bible. But how can you be sure that you actually WANT to do all those things for GOD and not because other people say it's right? I'm not saying I don't think I'm a Christian, 'cause trust me, I DO, but I just want to know how you can be totally, 150% sure that you are. Maybe it's unanswerable, maybe I'm just oblivious to the answer. I don't know.

I find, sometimes, that I think reading the Bible and praying, etc. is a chore. For instance, I find my mind wanders very easily and I completely forget what I'm doing or what I've just read. What does that mean? Does that mean I don't care? I feel so bad that it happens, but I'm so confused!!! Maybe one of you can answer me...I don't know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home