Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Violence Among Children

I've really noticed lately that young children (1-8) have become exceedingly more violent, especially at work. In public schools you hear about all the nasty things children have done to other children, such as stabbings, shootings, beatings and other forms of violence. I find this very disturbing, especially since it is among such a young age. For instance, stabbings and shootings. For one thing, these children should not even be able to access weapons of this extreme. If you keep guns or knives in your house, fine. But they should be locked up somewhere or the children should not have any knowledge whatsoever that these weapons are contained in their house. It's just wrong to hear in the news that an eight year old has just stabbed a classmate because he became angry with them. When I was in grade six or seven, a boy a grade younger than me pulled a knife on this guy in my class. The reason, I don't know. But I was standing right there and it was pathetic. He was mad about something stupid and so the kid was suspended. He's lucky he wasn't charged or anything. And this was at a school full of wealthy families, so it wasn't like it was in some sort of stereotypical "ghetto" or anything.

I know violence takes place in all ages, but I'm just focusing on the very young children. The children who should not be learning these things, let alone acting upon them, until they are much older (learning I mean, not acting). At work, I've noticed the children are very violent towards one another. I'm not just talking play wrestling or anything like that, 'cause we used to do that harmlessly when we were kids. But I'm talking about hitting and throwing things and such. This morning, I had this brother and sister come in. The girl was about 2 and the boy about 4. The girl was walking around kicking the other kids and smacking them in the face if they were in her way or if she wanted a toy they had. We told her not to do that and also gave her a time-out (where she proceeded to wail uncontrollably). Later, she was sitting on my lap and she stole a toy unicorn from another little girl of the same age. So, I told her to give it back and she wouldn't, so I took the toy away. She told me she hated me and she wasn't going to be my friend (the friend bit was kind of funny, but...) the girl was 2!! At the age of 2, she's going around hitting people and telling them she hates them! Is this not disturbing? I was completely shocked at the way she treated other kids. Her brother, who is even worse than she, was also hitting other kids. From the moment he walked in, there was non-stop violence. As he entered with his mother, she was yelling (not yelling, more upset that he said whatever he said) at him because he had said something extremely rude towards one of the members working out. And when he left, he was balling his eyes out because we gave him a time out since he threw a mat at two kids and then jumped on them, where they smacked their heads on the floor. He told us not to tell his mom because she wasn't going to like him anymore. This is so bizarre. But I mean, 2 and 4 and they are as violent as anything.

I think a lot of it is because of parents letting their kids watch movies and shows they shouldn't. There was this 8 year old in awhile ago, and I asked him what his favourite movie was and he said XXX! For one thing, there's probably content in there that I shouldn't even be watching!! I mean, the kid's 8 and he's seeing all this violence on TV and what kind of kid was he? He was the kind of kid who didn't listen to anyone and thought pushing younger kids was funny. It just makes me so upset to see such young kids acting like complete jerks all because of TV or something stupid like that. Granted, I know there are a lot of broken homes in the world and that's where some kids pick up violence, which is absolutely saddening that they have to witness such things, but still. I just think it's horrible.

There was this other brother and sister who came in a long time ago, and the brother was about 4, and he was VERY misbehaved! It was just me working and there weren't very many kids, and he was calling me over, but I was doing something at the moment, so he called me a mother f-----!! He's FOUR!!!!!!! I was SO surprised, I just kind of stood dumbfounded, because I couldn't believe he said that! Long story short, his dad came in and picked them up. I was going to tell the dad, but then I realized the problem. It was the parents who taught him this! The dad came in and swore at his children a few times and cursed his wife under his breath because she had went to the store instead of picked up the kids. He had asked me where his wife was, and I told him she went grocery shopping and he was yelling at me saying how typical it was of her and other nasty things about her. He was actually really scary. I wanted to cry because he looked just so angry and violent and he was yelling at me and the kids, and it was just all so surreal. Like something you'd see in a movie, how the dad flips out and hits his kids or something. I felt really bad for that family. He threw on the little girl's shoes and grabbed their hands and dragged them out of the room. It was so sad to see a parent acting like that towards their kids. I haven't seen them since and it's just heartbreaking to know that some kids are experiencing that in their homes, or even worse. Children are innocent, and they should stay that way. They shouldn't be violent or little pains to others. I just feel terrible when I see that happen. It's not right. It's never right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home