Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Monday, June 14, 2004

Welcome to the "Real" World

Reality TV is a huge thing right now. We have all these cool shows that have been categorized as "reality", when in fact, it's just some producers idea of how the "real" world should actually be. The only reason it is called reality TV, is because it's not supposed to be staged, just a bunch of ordinary people competing to win the prize in the end. Well that's really a bunch of crap and we all know it! You have shows like Survivor, where 16 people are stranded on an island competing for goods and immunity and ultimately, $1 million. Yeah that's reality! I get stranded on an island, get provided with a few essentials to start with, gaining more things as the game progresses and possibly be voted off. Since when could stranded people get voted off and sent home or have supplies magically fall from the sky? Tell me where the reality is in that.

Then we have shows like fear factor. A few people have to eat some really gross things, do a few stunts and maybe win some money. The thing that I hate about this show is the clothes the girls where, or don't. I was watching Ryan Seacrest's talk show one day when I was sick and he was talking to Joe Roegen, the host of fear factor and Ryan asks why there are all these scandelously dressed women on the show. Joe answers by saying they do this on purpose. Then he goes on to explain that they pick women that men would want to have sex with (sorry if I offended anyone or something. It happens.). What kind of show is that? Don't get me wrong, I used to love fear factor. Me and my dad would watch it all the time but it got so bad that my dad won't watch it anymore. What does that tell you about reality? I guess it's pretty close because it is what some guys want to watch!

Then we have shows like the bachelor and the bachelorette. Uh huh, 'cause it's reality for a girl to have 20 gorgeous men fawn over her and compete against one another to marry some chick they've known for all of one month or so. She gets to go on multiple dates, be pampered and toy with the hearts of men, all while these men know this is happening and are also living with each other. In reality, that would never happen. Guys may be stupid, but I do give them some credit! ;) (sorry guys, I had to say it)

Another one is the simple life. I love watching that show, but i mean, come on! A couple of heiresses to million-dollar fortunes get dropped into the real world and have to work for money and follow strict guidelines. When does that ever happen? They get to do what they want, toy with a few minds, get a few guys and get fired from their jobs of pumping gas because they made the people pump it themselves since they didn't know how. Oy. This world is crazy and has a distorted view about what reality really is.

On the other hand, one show I really did like, but they took it off the air, was the amazing race. I think it's cool because they get to travel around the world and experience all these different cultures all the while competing for money. No it has nothing to do with reality either, but it was entertaining.

My point here is not that "reality" TV shows are not entertaining to watch, because I do watch a few of them and I quite enjoy them as well. I liked survivor, fear factor, average joe, joe millionaire, american idol, amazing race, the list is endless! I'm just saying that they shouldn't be called reality TV, but more like fantasy TV 'cause that's really what it is. That's my spiel and now you can all go and watch some reality TV show because I'm sure there's one on right now anyways! Peace out.