Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Have Another

I went to a really good assembly today, at school, about MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving). It was cool, 'cause they had a DVD playing with good stories and good music, I might add! I don't know and I probably don't think that the video actually made anyone else really think about drinking and driving and parties, etc. But it really made me think, because about 99% of my friends drink; not drink as in have a couple, but as in getting completely smashed. I never really cared about people drinking and doing drugs 'cause it's normal, even the most unsuspecting person did it and so now, whenever someone's like, "did you hear so-and-so drank?" I'm kinda like, "not surprising", and it's not, because EVERYONE does it, and I'm serious!

My point is, it's actually really scary what alcohol and drugs can do to you and I'm just waiting for someone to say so-and-so just died from binging or from driving drunk. It's stupid! There is absolutely no point for drinking at such a young age. You may be thinking, "but Aleah, come on! It's high school! They're a bunch of teenagers, what do you expect?" And trust me, I know well that it's really easy to give in to stuff like that, but I mean, come on! It's your life! What's worth more, your life or making yourself look like a fool in front of all your friends? Personally, the latter just isn't worth it. I mean, my friend almost killed himself because he got drunk and drove. He's lucky he didn't kill himself or who was with him or anyone else on the road. But these things happen. People do kill others, themselves and their friends because they made one poor decision.

No, I'm not saying people shouldn't drink at all, but I don't think underage people should because they, well my friends, have proven themselves irresponsible with drinking, therefore you shouldn't risk the life of yourself and others to have a little "fun". The things is, people will always drink and get drunk, but if people are responsible, then stupid things won't happen. Although drinking and responsibility aren't exactly words that go together often. Maybe if people are idiotic, they just shouldn't drink at all. I don't know.

That's my spiel.