Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Question

Hello everybody! This isn't going to be a typical post....in fact, it's not really a post at all. I just had a question and I can't seem to figure out the answer to it, so I thought I'd raise it to you all and see what you think.

I was just wondering, is it better to spend time with God everyday no matter what, even if your heart isn't in it; or to to keep doing it even if it feels like it's only being done out of routine, or some dutiful act or something? For example, if throughout your readings, or prayers, you're just grumbling and not wanting to do it or getting anything out of it, would it be better to just not do it, and wait until you're heart is in it, or do it anyways? Because in the Bible, isn't there a situation where the people are doing all these "right" things and everything, but their hearts weren't in the right place, so God got mad? I may be completely off on that one, but for some reason I'm remembering that. Anyways, hopefully someone can help me out. See you all!

10 Comments:

  • At 4:20 p.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    This question goes deep but I'll give an initial response. I'm coming at it from the opposite end, in which I don't spend enough time with God on a daily basis. Lately, I've tried to do just what was mentioned - doing my devotions regardless of how I feel or what I get out of it.

    My current experience is showing that this is way more beneficial to me than the alternative of not doing it for any reason. And there are many "good" reasons not to spend time with God every day, but I'm thinking that none of them are good enough.

    Now for someone else...

     
  • At 9:37 p.m., Blogger Elyse said…

    Hmm... that's a tough question, and in my personal opinion, I'd just try to find ways to enjoy and get something out of your time with God. For example, you might try reading a different translation, listening to worship music, writing down your prayers...etc. I know it's easier said than done, but it's a thought.

    I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but that's all I've come up with so far.

     
  • At 9:39 a.m., Blogger Abe said…

    I, personally, would strive to be as different from the Pharisees as possible, as they seem to be rather maligned by Jesus.

     
  • At 9:40 p.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Wait, who are you calling a pharisee? :)

     
  • At 1:54 p.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Thank you guys for your input! I think I've got it all figured out.

     
  • At 8:24 p.m., Blogger Mike said…

    And not for the first or last time I think, "boy, communicating with an infinite being sure is boring."

    Doesn't this seem strange to anyone else...?

     
  • At 5:34 a.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Good point, Mike. Although, we don't we mind your posts so boring might not be such a big factor.

     
  • At 10:08 a.m., Blogger Mike said…

    Maybe I'm dense, but I'm having a hard time reading that sentence. Could you rephrase?

     
  • At 9:02 p.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Yeah, me too....what were you saying, Jamie?

    And yeah, Mike, sometimes it is...other times it's amazing. Kind of like talking to a friend. Sometimes there's nothing to say, and other times you can talk for hours.

     
  • At 12:50 p.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Sorry, my last comment was just a dig at Mike. Pot calling the kettle black and all that. Have you read his blog recently? Heh.

    As for me, my worship times with God are just about the most consistantly exciting thing that I experience. Reading the Bible might be a bit boring for me, but not everyone likes the same things. God's a creative guy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home