Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Reflection

While out the other day with a friend, we got on the topic about people's gifts/talents, etc. It got me thinking. I think that everyone should do a reflection of themselves to figure out what they're good at, what they like doing (even if they suck at it) and what others see in them. It can be fairly difficult to assess yourself completely because there are probably many areas in one's life that they never thought of as a gift, or a talent. For instance, this friend was talking about all the gifts that they saw in someone else, but said that they, on the other hand, only had three. I was a little surpised that they could only come up with three, so after they listed the three, I was able to say several others just off the top of my head. The biggest one being that that person is very good at encouraging others and seeing the good in people. They did not think, or realize for that matter, that that could be a gift/talent. So, my point is, it's important for everyone to think about and know what they are good at, and for others to tell them if they notice a talent in someone else.

Our Faith "group" used to do blessings and things for people. At first, I thought that it was kind of "churchy" and not really my thing. But after the first one we did, I realized that it was a pretty good idea. Why don't people do these all the time? It's amazing that a group of close friends and family can get together and encourage a person and tell them how special they are and the good in them. When we did one for the four of us who were graduating, I found it very uplifting, and actually really surprising. Some things that people mentioned about me I never thought of before, or I never really realized that it was a gift unique to my personality.

Something I think is as equally important as constructive talents (that's what I call them...not really sure if there's an "official" title) such as welding, building things, fixing things, etc. is abstract talents (again, that's my labelling) such as being nice, encouraging, helping, listening, etc. People don't seem to think about these things very much, or even think that they are talents given to them. To me, these abstract qualities are really important to focus on. For instance, noticing the good in people. Not everyone has this talent. Sometimes it's difficult to think of something positive about someone you hate, and some people aren't good at saying something positive about people they love. But then there are those that can see the good in everyone, even if they haven't known them for very long. I think this is an extraordinary talent, because I tend to be, er, not very good when it comes to thinking positive about certain people, or expressing how I feel for that matter! But my point, if I have one even, is that we should focus on our personalities, or abstract qualities, just as much as focusing on the constructive talents we have. I think people notice these more.

So, think about being positive today and encouraging someone in something they are doing. Chances are they don't even realize they are good at it. Like really, what bad can come out of being nice?

Have a good one! :)

5 Comments:

  • At 12:33 p.m., Blogger Abe said…

    No doubt. It's interesting how awkward it can be to say nice things about people, unless it's set up like we do at birthdays and grads. Almost like if I were to just walk up and say something I'd say at one of those events people would be like, "ok, what's going on, what does he want from me?"

    You exude goodness.

     
  • At 12:33 p.m., Blogger Abe said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:51 a.m., Blogger Elyse said…

    Good thoughts. I definitely agree. Although like Abe said, in our day and age if you randomly went up to someone (even someone you knew) and said something nice about them they'd think you wanted something from them. Weird. But good post! Well thought out, and it made me think too!

     
  • At 4:27 p.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Well maybe that's something that needs to change in our society. We should be able to say something nice to someone without expecting anything in return and people shouldn't feel like someone has an underlying motive when they're just being nice.

     
  • At 7:42 p.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Aleah, you're super.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home