Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Monday, April 18, 2005

Vegetable Monster??

I believe Joel eluded to this topic on his blog somewhere...can't remember. But man, this is annoying. They're taking away a significant character from Sesame Street! Or modifiying, rather. I think this is absolutely messed up. It's not the cookie monster that's making children obese. In case they haven't noticed...Sesame Street has been around for awhile, and the introduction of the cookie monster didn't suddenly create some epidemic of fat kids. It's that stupid Ronald McDonald that's killing everyone. Working at a daycare, I see it all the time. Kids will eat two or three cookies, maybe...but then you have regular kids coming in almost every night with McDonald's or Pizza Pizza....hmmmmm, but that's not making children fat, right? Come on. McDonald's, they're eating chicken nuggets and french fries that are made from potatoes, isn't that a vegetable? Sure it is, but they fry it in grease and then lather it with sodium. Sheesh. Maybe if parents weren't so busy with other things, they would notice that THEY'RE the ones feeding their children, so THEY should be monitoring what they eat. Get rid of fast food commercials in between Sesame Street. Maybe that would help. Besides, I grew up with the cookie monster, and he never made me fat. And if society thinks that McDonald's "healthy choices menu" are really healthy, HA! I laugh in their face. I'll tell you what they really put in those things, and how they leave them sitting out for days and then label them "fresh". Yup, sure sounds good to me.

Also, if we're in some sort of health kick generation where everything has to be low-fat, sugar-free, 0 calorie, water crescent crap, then maybe people should re-think jacking up the prices so that no one wants to eat healthier. That new fruitbowl thing at Wendy's, yeah, it costs like six or seven dollars. For fruit! I'd rather pay 3 bucks for a fattening hamburger, then at least I'd feel like I actually ate something. Well, that's my rant for the day. Anyways, enjoy yourselves!

P.S. Snuffleupagus was the best character from Sesame Street! ;)

8 Comments:

  • At 6:38 p.m., Blogger Elyse said…

    I totally agree. 110%! Lol. Good post!

     
  • At 11:12 a.m., Blogger Abe said…

    You've highlighted the point well, but then the next question (assuming that changing cookie monster won't help with child obesity) is why would the producers of Sesame Street do this? Do they actually live in a Michael Jacksonesque bubble and think that this change would have an impact? I doubt it.

    Instead, look at the advertising this has created. Everyone I know is talking about this, it's become a hot topic, and at times when Dora and Bob the Builder are taking over from Sesame Street, what a great advertising opportunity. Therefore, the producers make themselves look good by fighting for a cause, but have no intention to actually change anything, but instead want to make money.

    Read "No Logo" by Naomi Klein.

     
  • At 4:34 p.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    Man, now I'm all depressed, Abe. If we can't trust Sesame Street then who can we trust? This post is brought to you by the letter B for Bought and Betrayed.

     
  • At 8:50 p.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Nice one, Jamie! I never thought of it that way, Abe. Darn those people are smart with their marketing! The boy I babysit for loves Sesame Street, so I see it all the time, anyways.

     
  • At 11:34 a.m., Blogger Abe said…

    "If we can't trust Sesame Street who can we trust?" I'll give you a second to see if you can figure this one out.....ok, here's a hint, He's bigger than the boogie man. He's bigger than Godzilla, or the monsters on TV.....still don't have it? Not up on your Veggie Tales? Ok, it starts with a 'G' and ends in 'od'. That's right, don't trust in riches (Psalm 62:10) or mortals (Psalm 146:3), but trust instead in God (John 14:1).

     
  • At 6:44 p.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    But Abe, you didn't say anything about muppets!

     
  • At 9:57 a.m., Blogger Abe said…

    I tried and tried, but I couldn't find a concordance that had 'muppets' in it.

     
  • At 4:46 p.m., Blogger Jamie A. Grant said…

    That's all right, Abe, I learned my lesson. Never put your trust in muppets because they just want my money. Except maybe Kermit 'cause he's true of heart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home