Famous Last Words

"Take my worlds apart"

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Done AND done!

That's right! I have now completed my first year of university and I'm so happy to be done! Now all I have to focus on is work. Whoohoo!!!

Lets see, what did I learn over the course of the year? Hmm...not much. No, just kidding. I'm sure I learned a lot. I pretty much enjoyed all my classes, or the readings at least. My geography professor was SO boring, so I didn't go a whole lot to that one (but don't worry, I still did really well in the course); sociology was good...I'm going to be minoring in it, just for the heck of it I guess, except Prof. Hammond was kind of dry sometimes, but the readings I really enjoyed; social work, I didn't mind the lectures, but the readings were bad and I hate learning about policy crap; religious studies I liked, especially debating and stuff, but my professor's a retard, so that was interesting and there was a lot of reading and weekly tests, so the work load was a bit heavier than the others; and lastly, social justice I enjoyed a lot, especially the lectures, since I never did the readings anyways! But I am still going to stick with that as my program. I know, it sounds like I didn't care a whole lot about my classes, but I did really well, I just know how to use my time wisely and only do what I need to do.

Also, I thought that first year was a little easier than high school's grade 12 for some reason. If it's true that you're supposed to subtract 10% from your high school mark to equal your university average, well then, I'm pretty smart! So, it's not like I slacked off or anything (well maybe compared to some people), it's just I like doing things at the last minute because it helps me focus more. I also found it helpful to write out all my text notes and stuff to study from. It makes it more organized. I think first year is just a learning experience to get a feel for what you like, your study habits, what's expected from you, where everything is, etc. Someone asked me a little while back if I found it scary, and surprisingly, I didn't at all. I'm a very shy person, so I don't like new things all that much when I was in high school, but for some reason, now I feel a lot more comfortable with meeting new people and not really stressing out about anything. It's pretty cool! I found the people are a lot more accepting of people who may be "different" or not "cool". It's not as cliquey as high school was, but people do have their own groups because not everyone can be friends with everyone.

So yeah, now I have to pick my next year's courses and stuff. I really did like first year, but right now, I'm pretty much done with doing work and stuff. I can't wait for the summer and for my birthday (I'm turning 19...and I'll be explaining my thoughts on that later on when it's closer to my birthday).

2 Comments:

  • At 2:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yay! congrats on finishing your first year!! it's good to hear it went well and you enjoyed it. hope you have a great summer! ~L

     
  • At 1:49 p.m., Blogger Aleah said…

    Thank you, Laura! I hope your year went well, too!! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home